Monday 23 October 2017

Camping knives 




Knives Left to Right, first 3 are perfect for several days out on known trails and areas. The last knife for when one might be exploring off the trails and or little small wood available.  In this latter case a hatchet would be a good substitute instead and take a folder.



Hi there. What I wanted to say as a prelude to a camping trip into the wilds coming up soon, ie you'll see hopefully a video on the BushCampingTools channel soon; is a little about my choice of what knife to take into the wilds.

So soon I'll be hiking into the mountains. I'll be getting to the small village by public transport, a bus. But first I'll need to get to the bus station which is about 1 hour from where I am by public transport, which means no visible carrying of knives, for obvious reasons. That means whatever knife I take other than a folder in my pocket, will have to go inside my pack. This takes up room.

So I need to firstly consider this.
Ok, I'll come back to this in a second or two.

Once at the small village, it is then a short 10 minute walk to the trail head (there actually isn't really a trail) which is to follow a creek as it meanders up to a montane forrest towards the mountain. I know from previous camping trips to this area, it is not treacherous walking nor is it necessary to bring loads of water as water even in the height of Summer can be found, if not from the creek then from some "secret" springs I know the location of.

I will, this time, bring a small water filter pump. I'm not worried about Hep viruses but only protozoan parasites here. I have drunk the water many times unfiltered and unboiled but that was closer to the melting snows in Spring which turn the creek into a kind of raging river! But now in late Summer, better to boil or take the filter.

You need a tent. There is no easy way to build a shelter on adequate flat ground in this region nor is there any really accessible timber to use, caves or rocky overhangs to sleep under. I say a tent as apposed to a tarp or simply sleeping under the stars, as despite late summer the weather can change in a instant in the mountains, and one needs protection against high winds. 

Food, will be limited to: dried meats, bread, flour, onions, oats, garlic, pasta, hard vegetables and fruit and whatever we can find growing there (loads of wild berries, mushrooms etc), tea, coffee, UHT milk. 

I will only be taking 1 pot and One 1 inch deep pot lid, that can serve as a pot and fry pan. If, it's still a high fire danger then i'll be forced to bring the MSR XGK multi-fuel stove, we shall see.

The first Campsite is anywhere, as almost no one goes here during the week. Is it remote? Yes and no. Whilst it is possible to see others on day hikes (In reality I've never seen any other campers at any time) , it is also possible to see no one at all and there is absolutely no medical help except by a  3 hour car trip (at least) at high speed no traffic if you start at the beginning of the trail, so yes, it is remote in that sense.

The first pitch will be one days walk from the trail head.

Who's going???
I'll be taking my kid as usual, he's six and he has been going there with me since he was on my back! That was hard going carrying all the stuff we needed LOL. At 6, he's got his own proper "Big boys" Gortex Scarpa boots LOL, a proper Deuter Pack, his Opinel, belt, Petzl headlamp, proper survival stuff, adults FM 2 way radio, and solid fuel stove. Of course dad will need to carry some of this stuff (like the heavy stuff) as he will need to also carry waterproof jacket, pants and thermals for the night etc.


So you guys can watch, I've got to also lug the tripod and two cameras and batteries etc LOL.


NOW that brings me way back to the damn knife I'm going to bring.

OK so I have local knowledge and this is key for having a good time in the wilds whether you go it alone or in a group or your family. I know from experience that there is little small fallen timber in this area. There are large dead trees, devoid of branches as they are mainly pine and what little wood there is is also collected by villages in the region for cooking on. 
There are small pockets of dead standing trees, a lot of these with some ingenuity can be pulled/pushed over but they are far from adequate campsites. I always bring along climbing tape or a small amount of climbing rope (cut off my ropes from damage LOL) and this is to be able to drag collected timber back to the camp site. 

If I look in the creek enough i'll find submerged pine logs, they are full of resinous pine wood otherwise know in English as "fat wood" and a host of other names in other languages. Now to get at this material,  it is preferable to have a 7 " knife or a hatchet to make it easy. I've also stashed a cache of this timber 2 years ago but it may have been found and I can't rely upon it still being there. I don't have a hatchet with me right now but I'll probably take a suitable knife that can chop but not too heavy or long (remember, it's got to go in my pack for several hours of public travel!). I'll take a folder too. That's it. as far as knives go. I'll drag large logs back to the fire, no need to hack it up.

Despite the marketing this is simply a well built 7" fixed blade, well balanced and durable. I'm very used to a recurve blade so this type of knife and what I can do with it is not a problem. make sure you can and know how to get the most from your knife. 


If this was Australia, I'd take my Kizlyar Supreme STURM,
My Kizlyar Supreme STURM, a great camp knife. BTW, I've now busted off the tip due to some very stupid prying with it. Remember knives are not pry bars!


 which is more than adequate for most camping and even hardcore camping as there is little need to process wood for fires etc. Being a bit shorter (it's not that lighter LOL due to a different tang) but shorter makes it easier to pack- although it's usually a drive to remote trailheads no public transport there in Australia.

Starting the fire. We will use matches and or cigarette lighters, we will have steels but they are only if we have to. Why muck around?

In Summary


If lots of wood is available and tinder can easily be found, why lug a big knife or hatchet? it makes no sense. Anyway,  if you watch my three part camping trip, 
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

you'll see the kind of fire I built and what i chopped and didn't chop but suffice it to say i didn't need to chop anything as I hate expending energy if it's simply not required.

Oh and I almost never take a saw.



What pack to take? 


A 38L Deuter Guide. Yep all of the above is going into or on this pack including one only expedition proven Gore-tex down sleeping bag and 2 foam mats.


Go light! Go Prepared for the environment!







No comments:

Post a Comment