Sunday 13 January 2019

My Best Tactical Knives






This is a followup of a great tactical knife I own from Kizlyar Supreme. Soon there will be a follow up video too of this great knife and I'll say straight out what I feel is great about this model from them. I've had it now under hard use for over a year, so I feel I can really pass on my experience with it. BUT firstly or rather secondly, when we use our knives out and about, we need to seriously consider personal hygiene and what this means:

If you are skinning, fishing, gutting and processing any kind of raw materials and you do not clean that blade or scabbard sufficiently you may find yourself crapping your guts out or vomiting if you have inadvertently infected yourself with bugs! ie bacteria or worse! That means keeping stuff cleaned. One aspect of the Kizlyar Supreme model DOMINUS, I really like is the scabbard system and how it can be cleaned very easily and kept hygienic. The only negative I have is that the retaining bolts for the inner hard insert is a Torx head and this is not something I would necessarily carry into the field with me and would rather see a flat head bolt used instead, this is something which could easily be achieved. Anyway lets get on with it, I hope the pictures will be self explanatory:



A Torx head driver is required, my only negative point, meaning cleaning can only be done if you have one of these drivers on hand. 




This is the backside view


Use the same Torx driver to gently push the male bolt out of the outer scabbard.

Now all of the parts (almost all) are out


Remove the end friction "plug". This is the device (one piece design and very smart too BTW) that retains the knife with absolute security within the scabbard.

To do this use a smaller than the hole diameter object to gently prise the plug out of the end of the scabbard-it's easy and once it starts to poke out use your fingers to finish the job.

Now we have all the parts!

Accumulated sand (in my case) or dirt may now be easily removed from the retention plug. 

It's wise to wash the inserts now with clean fresh water and or detergent.

Add caption

Re-inserting the retaining "Plug"

Almost ready to re-assemble!


Dry (if you can) the inside of the scabbard with a clean tissue cloth and simply reverse the disassembly procedure

Happy outdoors!



BCT





No comments:

Post a Comment