Thursday 26 September 2019

Tip down or Tip up??? Flipper Folders and Safe Carry

Tip down or Tip up???

Flipper Folders and Safe Carry.


Flipper folders are very popular these days as it allows one with some basic dexterity to open a knife with one hand (which can be supremely important in some circumstances) and at the same time look a bit cool. I say look a bit cool because in reality I believe it is better to not attract attention to oneself, especially if you are carrying a knife. Ok that's my personal opinion and I'll leave it at that. What I want to discuss now is the issue of how to carry a flipper folder. OR how not to carry one.

How not to carry one is simple. NEVER carry one loose in a pack or bag or jacket pocket, the interior of a vehicle-plane, car, truck 4WD etc. WHY? Well a flipper folder of course takes it's name from the projection of steel that also forms a sort of guard when the knife is actually open and in use. Now if the knife experiences a "knock" due to being bounced around a car, bag, rucksac etc, then it can easily open- ACCIDENTALLY! I think the repercussions from this is obvious.

Never use the pocket clip (if supplied) to carry a "Tip up" flipper (or any flipper for that matter) on your belt; not unless you want to stab yourself. I did this once BTW, oh about 60km from home in the bush, no vehicle etc, no one around etc, in other words no help as there was zero mobile phone reception etc. I did it for less than 5 seconds around camp, I can't even remember why now BUT I accidentally engaged that flipper projection for want of a better word and it released the blade, tip up, into my guts, ok fear not, my response was immediate, as in stop moving immediately! I was lucky! Yes, the pocket clip is for use on the pocket only and never to be used on anything else but the pocket. The simple reason, is if one hasn't figured it out already, the pocket is necessary to restrain the blade in such a folder, preventing accidental opening. This is even more important with such a heavy weight folder (the blade is the heavy part) as the Extrema Ratio HF2D I have jut blogged and reviewed; where the blade can develop sufficient momentum to open all by itself if not restrained. Hence the inclusion of a pouch in the purchase of this knife and of course the knife features a deep carry (and you'll need deep pockets for this beast- LOL-take that how you want it) pocket clip/s. Now in the case of such a large folder and a folder which is a flipper, I personally carry it TIP DOWN in my pocket if not in it's pouch. I can quickly remove the knife because i simply hook my fingers around the flipper part. In doing so the knife wants to stay closed.


Anyway, that's it. I'm sure you already know this but if one doesn't then there it is!


BCT

No comments:

Post a Comment