Wednesday 30 September 2020

Fixed blade Vs Folder on general hiking trails.

 Fixed blade Vs Folder on general hiking trails.



 I was just asked about this subject, so I thought, why not? 


Example of:

Sturdy locking folder


Example of one big Ma Fa Knife! Way too big for general hiking! But in the environment behind me, no problems!


On well walked trails, long or short, ie a day walk or a weeks worth of walking and camping, one can easily take a folding locking knife and this will be more than adequate for the job. On such a hike there is Zero reason to leave the trail and venture into unknown territory unless you are stupid. If one isn't stupid and they know the region like the back of their hands and are with at least one other person who also knows the region, then sure, you could leave the main trail for some exploration/shortcuts etc. then one would maybe carry something more substantial than a folding knife. However, simply waking major trails, a folder is lightweight and if well-made more than good enough.


If one is paranoid about taking just a folder, let me tell you that I have easily with a regular Swiss Army Knife carved and made a hardwood fish spear that enabled me during the early evening (at darkness) to spear a fish for my breakfast the next morning. I did not have a fixed blade with me and this was no big deal.


Carrying a lightweight but sturdy folder (in good service, ie well oiled and maintained) will make you journey easier on all fronts, less weight means more distance, more food one can carry and hence move faster.  Don't get hung up with the armchair survival thing. Taking big fixed blades (I do indeed but it is generally only in seriously wild places- off the track or with little chance of seeing other walkers or even hunters). Even a small fixed blade will be approximately twice the closed length of a folder, with very little gain I feel.  Remember on major walking trails one is generally in my experience not supposed to be cutting down trees to cross rivers, or building wooden huts etc. One generally carries a fuel stove too.  Of course where I would deviate from this rule is as I said above, if one leaves regularly walked paths. OR there are many members in your group and more gear can be carried hence one could take a larger knife but ONLY if there is reason to use one. 

Such a reason could be you are walking when it will be very wet and one may need to hack into material to start a fire if necessary. A larger fixed blade and or a folding saw would be invaluable. I have found myself in this situation many times, on dusk, in the rain carving off wet bark to get at some dry wood to start a fire in an alpine hut. I could have used a folder but a fixed blade was much better (around 6" ) to do the job in a more rough and tumble way, quickly in other words to keep everyone happy LOL.



All I'm saying is that think carefully about what knives you carry with you, or any gear for that matter, there is nothing worse than part way through a hike, you realise you are just carrying too much gear and no idea LOL! Better to save yourself any embarrassment.




BCT

No comments:

Post a Comment