Thursday 16 June 2022

 A Bad Experience at the Range

(but Not what you expect)


In desperation trying to smoke out the hordes of mosquitos!

Today, I decided to test out how far off the alignment for my scope was after using a VipeRay from Vector optics to perform a pre-alignment indoors.


We got to the range and it was a bit overgrown, set the target up, got camera ready on target, then put my eye to the scope fired off a shot and saw that it looked like it went like 1ft above the target! It was right on line but 1ft too high! 

Well that wasn't expected. Now before the next shot we had to light a small fire and make some smoke, because the mosquitos were beginning to suck all of my blood out and I was losing concentration rapidly trying to zero in the scope. Soon to be losing consciousness from blood loss!



So half drained of blood and slapping the shit out of the mosquitos,  I was asking myself how could this thing (the rifle scope) be so way off?

Well easy, because if the LASER was pointing upwards from within the mount, it doesn't have to be much of an angle (in fact a very, very small angle), you would never see it with the naked eye, and especially indoors at close range, and when I was winding up the elevation to match that LASER dot I was in fact going well overboard with the scope elevation! 


This now, I realise is a problem with cheap LASER alignment tools because in order to do this the LASER must have at least an optical accuracy on par with a good scientific instrument, not some glorified LASER pointer in the guise of a alignment tool for a rifle scope.


So to cut a long story short and because I was getting pretty darn short with the situation, we beat a hasty retreat from that range vowing never to return there because I doubt those blood suckers were going to be put off by some crap mosquito repellents for sure.  


Only by setting fire to half of the bush and hiding within that smoke screen could we survive there but of course with all of that smoke, not being able to even see the front optics of the scope, let along where I was supposed to be aiming LOL.


The photo's don't show it but my legs and arms were covered in blood sucking, heck knows what disease ridden mosquitoes. This is what happens when it has been raining for so long and you're desperate to get to the range! You're going to pay but not with money but blood!

 

What did I learn? Don't bother going to the outdoor range after a week long of heavy rains unless one wants to be dancing around those black swarms of 6 legged vampires!


There's no shortcuts to aligning a rifle scope!



BCT


No comments:

Post a Comment