Tuesday 29 July 2014








LionSteel M7 
Thinking about whether you should buy the lionsteel M7? Part with your well earned Ghoulash ??  for the Lionsteel M7?? It's not a cheap knife, it's not handmade and it's even less corrosion resistant than D2 but how does it perform in real life??
With a funky one piece Micarta composite handle and a full length tang (if not full width-it would be too heavy anyway and of no purpose)
How does the M7 look like after 7 days of field use??


























working around a river (not an estuary!), infact one of the many tributaries of the Danube- yep I could be anywhere!, the M7 was going to get wet. While I wasn't swimming with it, I didn't have any rags (except my clothing) or oil to wipe it down with so it got returned to it's sheath wet sometimes.






As you can see there are what I would expect to see with Sleipner, a few specks of rust forming. REMEMBER, SLEIPNER was designed to be used machining/milling applications where the tool (made from Sleipner alloy tool steel) will not be generally be subjected to a corrosive environment. 


















Later, back at the hacienda I could not wipe off those marks short of using a metal polish (which I didn't) BTW as I want to see what the blade/knife looks like after some months use. So if you're one of these people who must see a shiny newish looking blade after every cut etc, then this might annoy you. As there is a plethora of high quality stainless steel blade steels available today such as 14C28N, N690, ELMAX etc (I'm not listing them here there are too many!) You might want to buy a knife with a stainless blade, but for me there are other important considerations and these are:

How well does the steel hold it's edge?
Is edge rolling a problem?
Blade geometry?
Is it a useful blade?
What about comfort during real use??
Can the blade steel be toughed enough for such a big knife?

 All of the above points I'm checking out in an upcoming video review of this knife. So stay tuned!






No comments:

Post a Comment