Wednesday 14 September 2016

Update to first observations on using my new AITOR OSO Blanco Olivo knife.

OK I just love the blade but the stitching on the supplied leather scabbard started to come undone before i even had a chance to take it off the property.



Also this knife with such deadly sharpened saw on the spine simply rips into the inside of the scabbard no matter how carefully one tries to insert and withdraw it. 





This is VERY BAD as it completely destroys the stitching of the scabbard!

This model must be supplied with the same Plastic scabbard as other models sporting the same saw back spine.

I'm not totally keen either on the very small rivet used to hold on the knife retaining buckle either and I'm sure this will be failing quite soon.



What's the story AITOR???

Is there no one who oversees these designs???



The saw itself cuts very very well and I tried it out on 2 year seasoned branch of Walnut wood, 

Sawback design is fantastic and within seconds easily ripped into this wood

2 year old seasoned walnut branch

My hand to show scale of the walnut branch



very hard stuff and in a few seconds it simply ripped into the wood.

Now I paid about $80-00 USD for mine brand new. Not to expensive not too cheap.

BUT just because this IS a Sub $100-00USD knife doesn't mean it has to be shit.

Now so far only the scabbard is letting the product name down. In fact i noticed on the AITOR FaceBook page the same knife is featured and the cowhide leather scabbard also appears to be somewhat faulty in this image! COME ON AITOR don't let my childhood memories down!

I will write to them to see what they have to say. Unfortunately the roads are paved with dirt outside  my only link with civilisation right now is a wire entering the farm house and that means no where near anywhere, it's a miracle there is even an internet connection here...........SO I can't simply return the product to the shop (an official dealer) and get a refund/exchange of scabbard. The bottom line is I need to use it NOW. I have done the following to alleviate the problem at least of the saw ripping into the stitching, and that is by inserting a thin piece of PET plastic inside the sheath. It works OK.
Note the PET plastic insert I had to do in order not to further destroy the inner stitching of the otherwise nice but not too well thought out leather scabbard.



No comments:

Post a Comment