Saturday 21 April 2018



Telling it like it is on BushCampingTools

When it comes to reviews,
I used to subscribe to many a YouTube channel, where the presenter spoke authoritatively about the stuff they were reviewing; they got popular, their subscriber number increased and what followed was that clearly once popular, they began to get asked to review many different products. That's great and that's what happened to my channel too. However, I don't review products, that I have no experience with. The reason is simple. If I have no experience in this field,  It would be totally inappropriate to speak on such a topic as I'd be speaking out of my rear end so to speak LOL!

Although there are numerous outdoors products that I do have lots of experience with and as yet I do not review, such as: compound bows and bow hunting for example. I could also review caving and climbing gear as I've been into these sports for over 30 years as well. 

Almost 99% of my reviews are done when I've got to be somewhere else for other jobs that also involve the outdoors in some way or other. On a personal level, that could mean "a family outing"


I was subbing to many big channels but when the BS started flying, I had to be honest with myself too and un-subscribe because once the BS starts, it never stops and IMHO you can never trust the channel again. Now if you are new to the outdoors then spotting the BS may not be easy and that's where problems will occur. 


It's kind of contradictory too when you get scout masters; and are not "knife fighters" or "martial artists" accomplished in the art of edged weapons fighting etc. etc. reviewing knives designed purely as weapons for killing humans. Mmmm, good message for your kids. Or people reviewing guns inappropriate for hunting purposes, such as sniper rifles. No serious hunter lugs a sniper rifle around hunting unless they are clearly showing off to their mates. Or presenters advising on how to use equipment they have obviously never had the slightest bit of experience with (except that of using the said product!). Or presenters reviewing every product line the company has, and guess what? All the products are great! 


This behaviour is quite prevalent on the social media avenues such as YouTube as the anonymity (at least to the general public) is some sort of license to bullshit your way, as a formula to keep up the ratings. 


Many ask why I don't review crap products or give bad comments. LOL, well for that very reason,  if I think they are crap or not useful for my audience then of course I'm not going to buy and or request them to review them and end up with a house and shed full of junk- that spells divorce (if you happen to be married). Plus I do not believe that any one company produces 100% great products. That's a fact of any industry. I like Subaru cars (and even drive one, but that doesn't mean I have to like ALL SUBARU Models!) I'd know, I've been a Product Manager for many years and I knew (along with all the management) that we produced "flagship" models but for the most part many other products were always difficult to sell and some were just no good and plagued with problems. The cutlery industry is no different.

That's why there isn't a plethora of products being reviewed on BCT because simply I don't know everything about ALL outdoor equipment, how could I?; and not all of a company's products are great as we all truly know.

I state up front in my "About" (on YouTube) exactly that, details of about me. It's there for all to read. No need to BS about it, I've done, and do my time in the outdoor adventure arena. 


A BIG THANK YOU !!! That brings me to a big big thank you to all out there for supporting BCT over the years. It especially makes my day when I receive comments like: "The only channel that matters", "I love the fact there is no Bullshit on this channel" "Keep up the good work!" etc. 





So to all of my loyal followers thanks for watching!




BCT

No comments:

Post a Comment