Saturday 28 July 2018

Cheap 10 Buck knife can it possibly be any good????



it looks good, feels good and is certainly well-made for 10 BUCKS. The question is: Can it hold an edge?

It's ANT proof LOL!


BTW we took this largish/smallish Puff ball to eat!


Today I bought a cheap sh%t fixed blade knife with a drop point. It isn't exactly unbranded but carries the mark (stamped into the blade) of some animal that looks like a rat or leopard or cat or mouse maybe????

It's clearly forged, as it's probably too thick to have been stamped at about 4mm thick (but I'm guessing). No evidence of milling marks and carries a mirror finish.

The scales are definitely real wood and some sort of very hard wood (I tried to mark it I couldn't). I can see the real wood cells in it where it has been ground, it could be resin stabilized (believe it or not!).
Real hardwood scales for 10 bucks?????

It was dull but after 30 minutes of ceramic stones, it's now paper cutting sharp! I bashed it and made about 100 cuts on a walnut block, trying to blunt it, the result was I was unsuccessful! That's great, my 10 buck knife (probably Chinese in origin- although the sales woman said it came from Colombia- I seriously doubt it but could be wrong.

Let's have a look at it.
See upside "Rat/undefined animal stamp in blade along with the word "Stainless"!

I even took it into the mountains! What confidence in a 10 Buck knife!


If anyone out there has seen a similar blade do not hesitate to write here and tell me your impressions. I'm actually going to thrash this thing shortly and see what one can get for a discerning 10 bucks! BTW the scabbard was well-stitched but does not secure the knife very well at all. I'll make my own if it holds an edge and doesn't break. Stick around!


BCT.

No comments:

Post a Comment