Thursday 16 December 2021

Extrema Ratio SATRE Neck Knife


Neck Knives



To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of neck knives. In fact over the years of running BCT and all the years prior to that, I have only owned 3 knives which one could call neck knives, that includes this one, the SATRE from Extrema Ratio. As apposed to "finger knives" of which I own 2 a Kizlyar Supreme Hammy and a Raidops LJ6GP. 

Pictured side by side, the Raidops LJ6GP in SV30 (6mm) and my new Extrema Ratio SATRE (5mm).


For me a neck knife is a kind of utility knife; firstly because the blades are so small and on the size of a tradesman's utility knife, ie around 1" to 2". One can use them for: all box opening procedures, cutting of small diameter cordage. Unless the blade is serrated (this one isn't) they are next to useless at fast cutting carpet and or similarly fibrous materials. 

The handle lengths are generally too small for a proper grip and or too uncomfortable; the blades lengths are no more than ones average Swiss Army Knife folder. They are in MHO and experience unsuitable for any sort of "survival" unless in highly skilled hands (even then such a small blade may be next to as good as not having one?). However, they do fall into the category of "if it's the only knife you happen to have with you", then you're going to be laughing. 

They are generally unsuitable for use in any sub zero environments essentially because one's hand can be frozen to  bare metal (many do not use scales to reduce weight).

I simply can not get comfortable with the idea of carrying a very sharp instrument around my neck.

The Pro's of a Neck type knife are the following:

Generally, the blades will be much more sturdy than any Swiss army knife and much more resistant to accidental breakage should undue forces be applied. So if you carry a SAK and only ever use the main blade, well a neck type knife might be even better, dependent upon the applications at hand.
 

I think for a neck knife to stand out in the crowd it must offer something different but what? Well one model of the SATRE from Extrema Ratio does just that, the SATRE, made from Böhler S600 Tungsten alloy tool steel (the regular SATRES are made with trusty old N690 from Böhler). S600 can be hardened to values used for milling and thus has a higher probability of staying sharper for longer cutting the same materials as a non tungsten alloy blade. There may be trade offs, such as possible increased brittleness but if cutting is all that is intended then this will not be an issue.

What about SLH???? That's Super Lightweight Hunting-LOL I just made up that term! Sounds good doesn't it? Well once a hunting buddy gutted and skinned an entire goat on a bow hunting trip with just a broadhead, whose one of two edges was a little shorter than the SATRE and no handle! So I reckon that could definitely be possible! Or taken as a backup hunting knife- not for butchering of course but gutting medium sized game and skinning, definitely! It is certainly easy to clean!




The main reason I don't carry a neck knife generally is that personally I always carry a locking folder either in my pack and/ or in my pocket and a much bigger (the size depends upon where I am going and for how long) fixed blade, the type depending upon whether I'm hunting, camping and or hiking and also depends upon the duration of the trip. The exceptions are for when I'm diving and then I always carry 2 dive knives without fail  a double edged and serrated dagger and a big partially serrated and monofilament cutter blade (more on this later).





Extrema Ratio SATRE in Böhler's N690




As to be expected the scabbard is well made and everything works out of the box. the profile is of course very slim and no rough things to dig into the chest if worn as a neck knife.



I've put some cord over my handle because for me, it's just more comfortable than the bare metal tang.
I took 2mm static cord (used by climbers and cavers for accessories) to partially cord wrap the bare tang. For me at least it makes it more comfortable and user friendly.


No nonsense easy clean

Here I easily cut up this chunk of meat and the whole knife can be easily made hygienic as there is nothing to retain dirt.
No trouble to dice an onion either.



The spine is a generous 5mm thick slab of N690 but it also comes in Böhler's S600 Tungsten alloy tool steel.




The Extrema Ratio Satre comes with a generous length of thick para type cord and quality looking cord lock. It will also be available later with a pocket clip made by "ULTI Clip" (Made in the USA). I have to say I use an ULTI Clip  on another EDC knife I own, and they work well for secure pocket carry. More on that later.


Stay tuned for a field review of the Extrema Ratio SATRE at BCT

 

No comments:

Post a Comment