Monday 25 January 2021

Boreal Brenta 47261 new for 2021

 Boreal Brenta Boots 2021

It's 2021 and the new version of Boreal's Brenta is here. The Brenta is positioned in the "Mountain" range (no pun intended LOL) of the "Alpine" section of Boots. The intended purpose of the Brenta is as a Via Ferrata boot capable of glacier crossings and thus is able to take Semi-Automatic crampons.

It's a single boot utilizing a 2.6mm split hide. The hide itself is NOT waterproof and Boreal suggest that before embarking upon any activity that might get the boot wet, such as: immersion in snow, that the user first applies this stuff seen below:

Which is a water repellent treatment. It's probably silicone based as the solvent is flammable and it is advise to only apply it out of doors.The good thing is that it doesn't come in a pressurised container (but then it does come in plastic-u can't win LOL).

The Boreal Brenta is made in Spain and for those not familiar with this brand I can tell you right now that I've been using Boreal products for a great many years (especially climbing shoes) and they are great performers in the outdoor shoe making world.


The sole is a classic but revamped Vibram Mulaz.  This is a classic design for mountaineering boots and this rubber formula can really handle heavy duty use.

The actual water proofing is of two parts (prior to the user applying water proofing to the leather outer): A water repellent treatment to the inner Lycra textiles (Lycra Intech) and the inner proprietary membrane known as Dry-Line-which I believe is really a Sympatex 337 professional membrane set up. You can read what the manufacturer says here, no need for me to repeat it.


The new look Brenta for 2021 does not sport the sticky rubber rand all around the base of the boot as in the previous model but only over the toe (not even the full toe box area). The rest of the side protection (rand) is with a strip of spongy feeling PU (as seen in the below image).

Like I said, Vibram soles- it goes without saying these soles are the industry standard.



The inner soles have some sort of reflective foil under the ball and toes of the feet. presumably to reflect IR back into the toe region. Who knows whether this works or not. These boots as I say in my latest video (Hiking in the Snow) are not for below zero conditions because they do not have any insulation within them save for the water proof membrane. They are for people on the move or exerting lots of energy but not for waiting up a blizzard in a snow cave



For those wanting to fit semi-automatic crampons, no problems, you have a funky fluoro green heel plate thingy.

I'll be using my old but trusty CAMP ones. (a pair of ICE RIDERS!-Yep 21 years old they will be in June 2021 LOL!)


Who knows what this "XTP" is? Xtra Tough Protection??? Seriously, I love how shoe manufacturers use all of this jargon!

The lacing fit can be made snug and that's what I want in such a type of boot.

Other things I like:


2.6mm split hide, not 2.3 or 2mm

Comfy for just walking too

At last a funky color for (non boring) guys!

But seriously, generous amount (although decreased from the 2020 version of the Brenta) of sticky rubber on the rand.


Not too heavy at 1.354kg (single boot of course) for a size 7. The Boreal Brenta is available in half sizes for a really precise fit.




Negatives I can live with

Could this be an area of weakness in the design: where the stitching of the lacing system crosses unprotected across the toes? I mean how much trouble would that have been top cover this area with a bit of sticky rubber (as in the same stuff as in the rand?). No big deal and I might even coat it with urethane rubber myself to make it bombproof.


If u really do plan on using the Boreal Brenta's in the wet then i'd def recommend doing what they say in the "instruction booklet", ie using their waterproof application- not "trad grease" on the leather. Damn, they could have used a waterproof leather to begin with.



The laces are Ma Ma! (No I don't mean they are any relation to "citizen Ma ma" in Judge Dredd- she was bad ass!) but I do mean they feel flimsy and weak looking, so I may end up replacing them, we shall see. I bough these boots because I already own a pair of much more heavy duty mountain boots (some Kaylands) but they are stuck in another country and far from me now. Also I didn't want a super heavy pair of boots just for going in the snow and crossing ice fields, as eventually I will hook up with my other TNS boots (That's Take No Shit boots!).


The Boreal Brenta only has lugs at the top of the boot (last two), the rest of the lace retention is handled by round grommets (they appear to be metal) and three lots of nylon webbings, as I said above, the lacing can be made very securely.



These are not super high cut boots and for that reason give some flexibility I guess for Via ferrata's etc.

Anyway they felt comfy immediately upon trying them on in the shop. Gone are the days of needing to 'walk in" a pair of boots before venturing into the wilds! I look for a boot where the toe and the rand will well protected. After all that hose are the areas other than the sole that are going to be taking a beating and the first places to fail IMHO on a boot such as this, or any boot for that matter. The rand and the toe regions do indeed look well protected. Of course the toe has sticky rubber for getting that desperate friction action happening on some tricky hair raising Via ferrata scramble!

If you don't like the funky fluoro orange the Boreal Brenta also comes in Black. ref 47262, but black IS boring.

Look out for my Boreal Brenta boots in my next adventures of BushCampingTools!

Ok here is the late breaking news regarding the BoreaL BRENTA BOOTS!


THE LYCRA TEXTILE IS DEF NOT WATERPOOF AT ALL! Ok walking all day in 30cm plus of snow without gaiters (but with pants which covered the tops of the boots), I found that the Lycra was indeed WET at the end of the day. Alright to be honest BOREAL do state (in writing) that one must wear gaiters if going to walk in the snow regardless of what level of snow you are in. So my question is Boreal, whats the point of saying in the web blurb about the Lycra being waterproofed with Intech?? I doubt it?



Fitted with my CAMP Ice Rider crampons-we had to cover various sections of ice during the day. I couldn't be asked to be taking them on and off again constantly.




Now was this wetness due to sweating?? I don't know but i do know my feet don't sweat LOL, never have LOL!

But I have to say did my socks get wet? or did i have wet feet from being under 30cm of snow ALL day???? NO! I did of course treat the leather with the Boreal waterproof spray about 18 hours or so before taking them into the snow. The leather showed no signs of getting wet at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment